An excellent all-rounder of a hiking boot that is waterproof, grippy and comfortable. The Berghaus Expeditor Trek 2 stands up in comparison to more expensive models – we think this is a bit of a bargain.
- Great all-rounder
- The lighter grey colorway looks dirty fast
Welcome to the Berghaus Expeditor Trek 2, a boot for all seasons. Sure, we often bang on about picking the right boot for the conditions, but what if you just want one great boot that you can wear year-round? We reckon we’ve found it in the Expeditor Trek 2, which as Berghaus state, is a brilliantly balanced ‘sturdy but light’ boot.
- Trekking on a budget? Here are the best cheap hiking boots for women
- The best women's hiking boots for hitting the toughest trails
- Trail walking shoes vs hiking boots: which should you wear?
A combination of suede, mesh and a waterproof membrane render this boot both weatherproof and reasonably lightweight at just 415g per boot.
• RRP: £100 (UK) / $140 (US)
• Weight (per boot): 415g / 14.5oz
• Materials: Suede upper with AQ waterproof breathable mesh lining, EVA midsoles, OrthoLite footbed, super grip OPTI-STUD outsole
• Colors: Grey / Blue
• Compatibility: A brilliant all-rounder of a boot that can deal with most seasons and weather conditions
On the trails
During trail testing we found that the Expeditor offered really good grip, even on wet rock, and gave us great confidence when we ventured onto more technical and unstable ground. Cushioned soles also made it comfortable from the get-go, and more importantly it remained comfortable all day long when we wore it on longer rambles.
To be frank, we don’t have very much to criticize this boot for, except that we’d pick the black colorway over the lighter grey, which can stain easily. The rather soft, thin laces also may not last forever, so we’d consider replacing them over time with a sturdier pair – that said, the lacing system itself is good, and offers snug, stay-put protection around the ankle.
At £100 on the nose, this is our top pick if you need a first walking boot that will venture anywhere you do – it really stands up when compared with more expensive models and punches above its price point.
All the latest inspiration, tips and guides to help you plan your next Advnture!
Thank you for signing up to Advnture. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.