Light, breezy hikers ideal for summer and for working outside in comfort – but not waterproof enough to deal with tougher conditions.
- Great comfort
- Well-cushioned midsole
- Nice looks
- Not waterproofed
- Not as supportive as some others
Skechers are best known for their highly comfortable sneakers. These Skechers Trego-Base Camp boots have the same level of comfort and good looks. Turning eyes is one thing, though, but can this boot walk the walk on the trails? We took a pair onto the trails to find out.
- Trekking on a budget? Here are the best cheap hiking boots for women
- Should I buy walking sandals? The benefits of a lightweight alternative
- What you really want to know: is women's outdoor gear up to scratch?
On the trail
This casual boot has a memory foam cushioned insole that we were impressed with on test – it makes taking on long distances a breeze. The outsole features decent lugs that offer good grip on varied surfaces. The mesh-lined ankle is comfortable and breathable, and can be laced tightly for a snug fit, although it’s a tad low to offer good ankle support if you’re straying from more established paths.
• RRP: £75 (UK) / $100 (US)
• Weight (per boot): 390g /14oz
• Materials: Suede and textile upper, memory foam cushioned insole, and shock-absorbing midsole, rubber outsole
• Colors: Tan
• Compatibility: A casual hiking boot ideal for dry weather walks on established paths
The Trego isn’t waterproofed, which is the only real downside here, although we did find the suede outer water-resistant enough to allow you to stride through mud. If comfort is at the top of your shopping list, especially over long distances, or if you just want a casual boot for dry weather that will also work with jeans, this is a nice pick.
We also recommend it if you’re on your feet working outside all day and don’t want to feel weighed down – at just 390g per boot, the Tregos are pleasingly lightweight underfoot. However, those who need arch support (or just like supportive boots in general) will probably find the fit of the Trego too flat and trainer-like to suit them.
All the latest inspiration, tips and guides to help you plan your next Advnture!
Thank you for signing up to Advnture. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.