A UK fire service is reminding campers not to bring their portable stoves indoors as winter tightens its grip and many people are looking for affordable ways to stay warm at home. As the Bournemouth Echo reports, Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has also cautioned against taking barbecues and patio heaters inside.
“Using camping stoves or barbecues indoors is really dangerous," said a spokesperson. "They are designed to be used outside only, and they can cause carbon monoxide poisoning – even if you have the doors and windows open. It’s the same with patio heaters, they are only suitable to use outside.”
Carbon monoxide is a produced when fuels (which can be solid or gas) don't fully combust. It's invisible and has no smell or taste, but when inhaled, it binds to red blood cells instead of oxygen. In low doses this can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea and drowsiness, and in higher doses it can be fatal as the brain is deprived of oxygen.
It's also important to never take your camping stove inside your tent, no matter how cold the temperatures outside – whether it's to cook, or for heat. As Go Outdoors advises, if it's raining and you need shelter to cook, it's much safer to do so under a gazebo with sufficient air circulation.
For more information, see carbonmonoxidekills.org.uk.
All the latest inspiration, tips and guides to help you plan your next Advnture!
Cat is the editor of Advnture, She’s been a journalist for 15 years, and was fitness and wellbeing editor on TechRadar before joining the Advnture team in 2022. She’s a UK Athletics qualified run leader, and in her spare time enjoys nothing more than lacing up her shoes and hitting the roads and trails (the muddier, the better), usually wearing at least two sports watches.